Wednesday, August 2, 2017

Fun_Hivemind


I was thinking of a kinda post/mid-ruin fantasy world set off by a wall, as if the survivors were holed up in this giant tree as a last resort.


Again, so inspired and fired up to try wacky stuff by my new Shaddy Concept brushes, discovered in this post by Skraww, I wanted to try something unconventional and a little unsettling.


I started with a super rough sketch (today's bottom-most image) mainly using the hard ink brush from the set, just to get an idea of colors and shapes I wanted to use. I originally just wanted those sharp red lights at top, which resembled sinister eyes for the tree, but then expanded into yellow and green lights for thematic extension.


After the rough sketching, we moved to the Marlow brush primarily, and sculpted everything into place with help from the mist brush of course. I drew right over the sketch on the same layer, so it was just a matter of refining what energy and concept the sketch outlined.


I ordinarily don't like "finished" stuff to look so sketchy, but I was thinking of this as a trading card image, which are more important to look legible from a distance, so as you zoom out, it looks pretty neat, and when looking at it full size, you can see all these chunky brush strokes, reminding me of Akifumi Yamamoto's style.


So we're letting this one post without further refining it. I believe it's a good step forward for speediness and idea execution, but again, we need to get polished on top of fast.

Not normal,

Reuxben

No comments: