Monday, October 2, 2017

FanArt_ink.Swift


Oh boy! MTGinktober time at last! I'm going to see if I can scan this year's pieces in since I keep getting either this really sharp glare off of the ink, or otherwise a bunch of unseemly shadow (see the image right below for my best attempt at a photo of this piece). Ok the rules this year are simple: there are no rules (except for using Inktober founder Jake Parker's prompt list and then making something Magical from that, just like last year, and as always, try not to spam the obvious characters too much).

So to kiki things off, for Day 1 we've got "Swift," starring hate-making haster Kiki-Jiki, Mirror Breaker and Monastery Swiftspear for an appropriately monored rush into the month's challenge!


I referenced both the classic Pete Venters as well as the more modern Steven Belledin versions of the goblin, and found the differences kind of neat. For instance, while reviewing other Kamigawan goblins, I noticed a few artists (like Steven Belledin later in Modern Masters) painted the beasties with four non-thumb fingers, while most went with three. So I gave Kiki-Jeeks three fingers, but compromised with Belledinian leather costuming, which seemed like a strict upgrade to the CHK version.


As for Monastary Swiftspear, I initially didn't want to use her because it felt a little too obvious (Swift is in the name), and I like to do my best not to pick super obvious cards to reference during MTGinktober. But the more I thought about it, the more it just seemed like a good idea. I researched speed skaters to figure out her pose, and am pretty ok with how it turned out.


So now last year, we had the issue of trying to figure out how to space out these posts...I combined two prompts per post, but maybe that was a little unfair to each post, especially when trying to reference a specific piece. But I only post here three days a week...so dare we do multiple posts per posting day? Isn't that against the rules? Weren't you paying attention? There are no rules.

Not normal,

Reuxben

No comments: