Sunday, October 14, 2018

FanArt_ink.Clock


MTGinktober ticks up to Day 14, "Clock," starring Teferi, Hero of Dominaria, telling you it's flavor time!


I've been itching to do a piece with Baron Von Count, and this is yet another prompt where he just didn't quite make the cut since another idea just seemed so much stronger.


And that idea was: what if Teferi had a Flavor Flav clock in a Tellng Time parody?


Fun Facts: Teferi's costume has many super subtle differences card to card, so I got to buffet it up for this piece. Most notably, his belt and cloak trim change up considerably over the years. Also, this is the first time a Magic artist spotted one of my fan arts of their work and gave me a thumbs up, so thank you, Scott M. Fischer, who's work has been an inspiration from my early days of Magic around Kamigawa and beyond to his more recent, radical non-Magic artwork. This illustration marks Teferi's second MTGinktober appearance this year, and first starring role.


Easter Eggs: A literal egg is on Teferi's shoulder, as is a little birdie, which tells me it's a reference to Scott M. Fischer's other visual feast, Time Stop. The clock is at (roughly) 2:07 since that's Teferi's collector number in Dominaria--I had to look it up since I hate analog watches and refuse to entertain them. The clock reads "Tucky Time," a reference to a Flavor Flav clock's labeling, as well as Teferi's infamous -3 "tuck" ability.

Not normal,

Reuxben

No comments: