Saturday, October 6, 2018

FanArt_ink.Drooling


MTGinktober drips into Day 6, "Drooling," starring Drana, Kalastria Bloodchief getting her drool on (her chin and finger).


This one kinda bummed me out not because I actually kinda dislike the cliche of how Vampires are always so ungracefully drenched in blood, but because it's so relatively simple. However, it did accomplish two things: one, it was a lot of contrast with minimal hatching, and two, it was a considerable change of pace. Since I'm running low on ink this year, I have used this--as well as the fact that I'm desperate to discover what it means to simplify--as motivation to use more contrast-heavy, less hatch-crutched compositions. And while I'd prefer to make full illustrations for each image, it was nice to switch it up and do one clear shot of a character.


The benefit of going with Drana's original card is that she has a pretty simple costume and a lot of large black portions, from her hair to her armor, so that meant we could just go to town with this year's leading contender for supporting cast MVP, this one brushpen that I picked up on a frisky whim at the mall some time ago.


Fun Facts: This illustration marks Drana's second MTGinktober appearance, though her first was an ensemble performance. And speaking of Domri--well, if this piece seems minimalistic, that's because I have been so exhausted lately so I didn't think to set my alarm, after which I inadvertently slept most of the day away--just conked out--so I had to scramble to research and compose an illustration in just a couple hours. Originally, super early in the morning before I went to sleep, I had done an early concept thumb of Chandra and likely Domri drooling at a campfire barbeque--Domri would be drooling over the meat, Chandra over the fire. That drawing just wasn't working out so I abandoned it for just a regular old glamor shot (extra painful because I had budgeted today for a "prominent character" piece--Chandra). Only up until the last minute did we cast Drana since she seemed like the most fitting Vampire for this pose, and again, she had a super simple costume.


Easter Eggs: None really, again this one was quite to-the-point, no time for clever compositions. I suppose the inner ring in the eye is a technique I picked up somewhere back in the day as a simple way to add intrigue to eyes.

Not normal,

Reuxben

No comments: