Monday, October 1, 2018

FanArt_ink.Poisonous


I'm excited to hop back on the MTGinktober pony! Let the games begin! Seeping into Day 1, we have "Poisonous," starring Melira, Sylvok Outcast and Blightsteel Colossus!


We drew the then-freshly printed Hapatra, Vizier of Poisonsfor last year's "Poison," so I definitely wanted steer clear of that "straight-up poison" space, thus the challenge was to figure out who to cast for this new, essentially identical prompt that didn't scream, "I AM POISON-RELATED!!"


Well then, how about the epitome of the poisonous "infect" ability, the one-shot killer Blightsteel Colossus, plus the antithesis of that effect, Melira, who is immune? Yes, we've drawn Melira before, but not for an MTGinktober, so it felt extra ok to give her the green light.


Fun Facts: This year, I'm running low on ink and my tools are fading with age, to boot, so I'm trying to utilize negative space more. In the old days, I might've gone to town on rendering ol' Blighty, though hopefully there's enough contrast between his darker form and her lighter. But regardless, it feels good to be back on traditional after all this time focusing on digital.

Easter Eggs: I'm not sure if this counts, but I tried using a white pen for Blightsteel's darksteel twinkle, but it doesn't really show in the final scan or photo...if that doesn't count, it looks like the little vents in his torso kinda form the Phyrexian symbol...and if that doesn't count, then I don't know what to tell ya. Oh! I totally FORGOT her arm costuming after inking and had to ink on top of a finished illustration! So that's why we fudged around with dark trim in the final! How's that for sneaky?

All right, just 30 more days, let's make some magic.

Not normal,

Reuxben

No comments: