Tuesday, October 2, 2018

FanArt_ink.Tranquil


MTGinktober just thinks happy thoughts for Day 2, "Tranquil," starring Narset, Enlightened Master as she drifts to her happy place while Sarkhan, the Dragonspeaker offers some words of encourage about today's deadline!


I initially wanted to draw a calm shot of a field-traversing character like Selvala (who we drew in 2016 for "Tree") at peace in a field, but ultimately went with a little gag about being unvexed by the world's stresses, in salute to how Magic can get you through some stuff.


Fun Facts: The things that apparently bring Narset inner quiet are also what work for me: Magic: The Gathering, Music, and Phelddagrifs--well, two out of three. Pets count, I guess...so...meh, close enough.


Easter Eggs: This illustration started in my head as a "Not Quite My Tempo" of Sarkhan yelling at Narset, though I've never seen Whiplash, or even the scene before writing this post, just heard of the famous line and still frame. The cards Narset is thinking of are Counterspell (Fifth Edition, my favorite version) and both versions of the Tarkir's own Tranquil Cove. I went with Counterspell as it's a card that gives me calm because when I have a counter in hand, I feel so much less stressed about the play I'm about to make. I thought about swapping in a chibi mantis for the pink hip-hop-opotamus to stay on Jeskai colors with the kawaii familiar, but drawing a chubby hippo won out--plus they're both core Azorius, so that's good enough and group hugs are the picture of tranquility, anyway. She's also sitting on the tree from Quiet Contemplation.

Not normal,

Reuxben

No comments: