Sunday, October 13, 2019

FanArt_ink.Ash


MTGinktober smolders into Day 13, "Ash," starring Chandra, Acolyte of Flame and one of her Fire Elementals!


I'm really loving this card, especially flashing back Shocks, Triumphs, and Clarion Calls. But even more excellent is my ultra combo: slapping down Divine Visitation before elementaling--it's so hard to interact with cuz the tokens aren't susceptible to anything but instant removal, and often, if you can land Chandra early against control and plink away with 1/1s, the 4/4s finish the job surely enough while the opponent's choking on counters and irrelevant interaction. Even if they have answers, they're trading cards for tokens that'll just red zone next turn anew. Such a sweet feeling.


Obviously this piece is a Pokemon spoof, with student Chandra playing the role of Ash Ketchum, while her fire elemental looks suspiciously Pikachuish. I briefly considered drawing the charred Chandra promo, but that didn't feel like something I wanted to do, though I do notice we've slowly but surely been drawing each of the plethora of Chandra depictions available, so I'm sure we'll check that off the list eventually.


Fun Facts: I totally forgot to draw her hair in the pencils, so I hurriedly sketched it in after my first draw of ink ran out in my G-Pen, so no big deal. I don't think I've ever had to make such a major fix after starting inks. This illustration marks Chandra's fifth MTGinktober appearance, which I'm pretty sure is the record. I just enjoy drawing her, I guess cuz she's not too complex, but still challenging to get right.


Easter Eggs: The background, including the rock formations' shape language are based on the rocks from her Acolyte of Flame version. But since I flipped the image in my references to get her uniform right, I mistakenly placed the mountain-carved building on the wrong side. Ah well, maybe it's just the angle. The hat is based on Ash's OG hat--it's official.

Not normal,

Reuxben

No comments: