Saturday, October 12, 2019

FanArt_ink.Dragon


MTGinktober
kamehamehas into Day 12, "Dragon," starring Sorin, Nahiri, and Ugin!


This was such a sweet one to prep for and execute. After quickly abandoning plans to draw Brian Kibler and a draconic Shiro since I missed my alarm and only had a limited amount of time to draw this, I frantically scoured classic Dragon Ball art to get the composition right for this spoof. I had initially thought I might cast rando Khans characters, like Shu Yun, the Silent Tempest as Goku and Narset as Bulma, but at the last minute, I remembered a guy and a girl who had a direct association with a dragon character--the original Eldrazi-sealing team--perfect.


Fun Facts: The page I cleared for today's illustration was drawn on heavily enough that there are still lots of remnants of the old contents on the final illustration in person (I cleared them as best I could for the scan). Previously this page housed a bunch of shirt designs for a pitch that went nowhere. This is Nahiri's third MTGinktober appearance, and it's kind of a mix of her previous roles--first she was herself, then she was costumed as another character, and now she's herself in the role of another character.


Easter Eggs: I hid some famous Tetris shapes in the upper hedron. The little clouds in the background are modeled after the ones from Dragon Ball (Z)'s ending theme, and the cloud nearest Sorin is based on Goku's actual Nimbus. The labeling is modeled directly after the classic format aside from the Zs, which I added to balance the lopsided text (time was tight, so I couldn't get the text quite centered).

Not normal,

Reuxben

No comments: