Tuesday, October 8, 2019

FanArt_ink.Frail


MTGinktober faints into Day 8, "Frail," starring the Aetherborn from Die Young and a Thopter token (Svetlin Velinov version)!


This was a tricky one because there's no really solid depiction of "frail" that I could come up that involved a famous or legendary card, so I had to figure out some kind of notable debilitation spell or illustration, and landed on the tragedy of this Aetherborn living it up and then slowly dwindling away. This piece was also a little tougher than I anticipated because Aetherborn have extremely limited facial features, I discovered.


My only other concept lead was maybe depicting a dilapidated Time Spiral elf--but drawing that would kinda be a bummer--or just drawing some classically weak tokens, like Saprolings or Goblins. Eldrazi Spawn seemed like the best route here, since they are the absolute weakest, most expendable tokens in Magic, as they are literally built to die to everything, including on demand, but I just didn't feel like drawing anything gross.


Fun Facts: The flower comes from Die Young, and I thought it'd be neat to see it kinda dying along with the main figure, through the torso cavity, of all places. As a compromise towards the token concept, I included a Thopter, which is plenty frail itself, especially the quite fragile-looking Kaladesh style ones. This is that guy's second MTGinktober appearance.


Easter Eggs: The Kaladesh block expansion symbols are hidden in the shoulder guards, including the Masterpiece series's Inventions symbol.

Not normal,

Reuxben

No comments: