Friday, October 4, 2019

FanArt_ink.Freeze


MTGinktober chills into Day 4, "Freeze," starring Emry, Lurker of the Loch and Blackblade Reforged!


This was a bit of a breather piece, as yesterday's was a bit heavy duty, I'm trying to keep my hand in good condition, and I need to be a non-wreck for an important meeting on Saturday, not to mention some additional work I'd like to complete. Anyway, I had two concepts for this prompt, and I chose Emry as a sword-propped popscicle since it was less intense. The other idea was Lavinia, Azorius Renegade arresting Krenko, Mob Boss with little Goblinslide mooks. That woulda been sweet, but just too intense to risk before Saturday.


The toughest part of this illustration was that Emry's only depiction is a bit unclear on costuming or if she even has legs, so I just kinda averaged out the other Eldraine merfolk. They seem to have a natural clothing, and (mostly) have legs rather than tails, but no two merfolk look exactly alike, so it's all just a guess. I did make the executive decision to giver her toe claws to match her illustration's finger claws, though.


Fun Facts: I had originally considered including background elements, like Emry's comboriffic cohort of Standard X-cost artifact creatures, Chamber Sentry and Stonecoil Serpent, as discarded heads at the base of the sword. I then thought just a frosty design in the background, but it didn't look good at pencils, so I scrapped any background beyond snowfall. Maybe I shoulda just did a drop shadow.

Easter Eggs: The little MTG Goldfish goldfish makes his second MTGinktober appearance. Love that design.

Not normal,

Reuxben

No comments: