Monday, October 14, 2019

FanArt_ink.Overgrown


MTGinktober molds into Day 14, "Overgrown," starring Isperia, Supreme Judge and Assassin's Trophy!


To be totally frank, I wasn't too pumped about this prompt. It felt bland and uninspiring, and it just felt too easy to fall into drawing the BG shockland. My first idea was to do some kind of mash-up of every version of the card, though the latest "Ravnica rebuilding" MTGO full art promo would be a weird-to-tricky implementation with the other, non-rebuilding versions, as would the random hedron from the Expedition. So I landed on a relatively straightforward riff on Assassin's Trophy, nothing too fancy or original.


Fun Facts: Struggingly to inject some originality into this illustration, I decided to sorta blend the different versions of Isperia, though I relied more heavily of Lucas Graciano's version, with only some Scott M. Fischer backup.


Easter Eggs: The background is based on Overgrown Tomb (GOR), of course--only limited style points for using the most recent printing, I guess, but the building and even the guild logo are quite distinct in this version, so it reads well when just given a sliver of space to work with, while the other incarnations really need room to breathe and read. Also, my signature is hidden made out of branches--love that trick.

Not normal,

Reuxben

No comments: