Friday, October 11, 2019

FanArt_ink.Snow


MTGinktober drifts softly into Day 11, "Snow," starring Alexander The Great Hayne of frosty Canada!

This was another quite last-minute concept based on current events, this one in response to Alexander Hayne's recent, incredibly open post. I've been a fan since his astounding debut on Walking the Planes, and he always struck me as just the happiest dude, to the point where I wondered what it must be like to be so generally happy--notice in his very first words in the episode, his introduction to the world, he's delivering an effortless joke.


He always, always seemed so content and a font of positivity, that I'd always look for him in Walking the Planes or Paul Cheon video logs and stuff because he invariably just had this phenomenal capacity to brighten the mood of any video he was in. I'd even re-watch his and Jacob Wilson's famous Hidestugu's Second Rite video whenever I felt down. So I hope he's safely in a positive space, knows he's respected and admired around the world, and that he's certainly been a positive influence on me, at least.


Fun Facts: I myself love cold weather, especially when you can see your breath, so I wanted to make sure to have him similarly chilling in this illustration, which is also a reference to the impetus of this piece, his writing--his speech. So hopefully in the same way exhaling in cold weather comforts me, I hope his words comforted anyone who needed to read them.


Easter Eggs: The upper background is based on Into the North, as a nod to Mr. Hayne's native Canada, and the lower background is of course based on the famous Easter Island-style Snow-Covered Island. His shirt design is naturally Face to Face gear, which felt doubly great as the best way to support someone--heart to heart, you could say.

Please take care out there.

Not normal,

Reuxben

No comments: