Friday, July 31, 2020

Com_OtterTribe_Pt.3

Ok, to wrap the series for our EchoOtter avatar set, here's the background work for the piece.

I used one of my favorite paper textures here, but modified it a little so it could sit back with the composition a little better.  Here's the flat background without the texture.

And here are the lines for the final background.  This piece hummed along quite nicely since the Wind Waker style calls for quite basic lines and flat colors, which was quite a relief, since my back and neck were in a bit of rough shape during production.

Here is the rough sketch of the background, which was based on the cover image to the actual Wind Waker game box.
 
Ok, now the γŠγΎγ‘, I pitched two versions of this series from the initial request of a Wind Waker or Secret of Kells style avatar.  These last few images are the Secret version sketches, starting with the default otter design.

Here's the Link from the set.  This style was also nice and "primitive," but perhaps even more so than the one we ended up going with.  The shapes are rougher and more brutal, which I found to be a really neat space to spend time thinking in.

A great example of this weird style of thinking was getting the complexity of the Indy hat to work in the Kells style.  I went with just absolute tangents, as the source material seemed to be completely unafraid of bold choices like that, even downright embracing parallax lines.

And speaking of complex, Jill's logo was a little tricky to figure out in this style, but it ended up being the basis for the Wind Waker version once I cracked it.  I also thought the limbs were thrillingly outrageous, it almost felt like Hannah Barbera or something.  Anyway, this series was quite something, I feel like I gained an appreciate for these two styles, and had a great time hashing it out.  

Not normal,

Reuxben

No comments: