Tuesday, October 6, 2020

FanArt_ink.Rodent


MTGinktober scurries into Day 6, "Rodent," starring Mad Ratter and his rat pals!
 
 
Another more straightforward image--I wanted to do a sorta scheming character hanging out with rats, and fortunately, Mad Ratter really fits that bill, particularly since he's not really menacing or creepy, just some kind of hikikomori.

 
I always enjoy the research part of illustration, and it was a treat looking up all the different rats we could use here--I briefly entertained even including Patron of the Nezumi, but that seemed a little like overkill.  Same for Marrow-Gnawer and Ink-Eyes, but hopefully we get a chance to draw them at some point.

 
Fun Facts: We cleared out another concept page for the MTG-adjacent comic I'll probably never draw to make space for today's illustration, which is the next image here.  The page was about getting the room down and a key (spoiler) pose oriented.

 
Easter Eggs: The rats are Zodiac Rat, Burglar Rat, Chittering Rats, Pack Rat (Fiona Hsieh version), and Rat Colony. I'm aware including the Secret Lair version of Pack Rat, despite my position against Secret Lairs, is a little iffy, and even means passing on Kev Walker's version, but I needed to occupy a certain amount of space there, and the promo was a little more apt for that role (plus we already did some OG Pack Rat fan art). I also hid my signature in the goblin's weird, fuzzy arm trim thing.

Not normal,

Reuxben

No comments: