Saturday, October 17, 2020

FanArt_ink.Storm

 
MTGinktober thunders into Day 17, "Storm," starring Melek, Izzet Paragon!

 
Man, I only had super little time to work on this one, but it looks like it went pretty well on Twitter, which...of course.  The ones I like least always seem to do the best, but that's kinda always true whenever you really want to put your best foot forward, particularly when sending sketches for a commission--they always, always pick the worst one.

 
I wasn't sure who to use for this prompt, but since time was scarce, I just had to go with a simple-looking character with anything even remotely--but obviously--storm-related, sorry Lannery.  I must say, the time crunch disallowed for much care in constructing this guy, and the perspective on his armor is just a lamentably missed opportunity to me.

 
Fun Facts: Not to be completely down about this illustration, I liked that I got to use one of my favorite textures, that toothy design for his outfit.  And I officially switched to my new Deleter 3 ink (plus I'm on a fresh nib, so this feels like a sleek, new drawing experience).  Also, the page we cleared for today's illustration was our old pal, Hagootha, which was just a random sketch one night, again in the vein of making an original Magic character that isn't "MTG-centric."

 
Easter Eggs: I love hiding my name in wacky elements--in this case, the lightning  across both arms.  The background is kinda from Cyclops Electromancer, which I picked because it had a great, immediate "Ravnica" profile and most crucially lended itself well to negative space, a great, reliable time saver in a pinch.

Not normal,

Reuxben

No comments: