Friday, August 4, 2017

Fun_SpaceIsTheFinalCase


I saw these old inks, based on these lines, and thought I should take them to final at long last.


I had just wanted to update the inks to digital and then simply use solid mask for the character with popped red and white over a painted, starry background for a striking but minimal image, but we ended up getting carried away with the character colors.


I was happy how comfortable I felt trying to color via different layer effects rather than purely painting, in my effort to find a speedier way to color. I am trying to simplify more, but there's always another step or tweak I feel I ought to take, so we end up simplifying in certain ways, but then adding complexity in others.


The spacesuit's colors started a lot cooler, but I wound up moving towards a red and white motif to match the original scheme's punchy elements.


Here are a few alternative takes. The left most one is what we posted on Twitter and Instagram, the middle was a sorta vintage look inspired by my usual BW value-check version, and the last one was a neat effect I noticed when just keeping the reflection of the character up.

Not normal,

Reuxben

No comments: