Sunday, September 2, 2007

Fun_GEARUPshotgun

EDIT: I'm still trying to figure out how to get these pictures to show up correctly, so hopefully this time it works! Keep in mind I'm not very good with computers.

This is my first time posting from a Yale cluster--so hopefully I don't have to be in my room to post anymore, if I can get this all to work. So what I've got for today is a bunch of drawings I did while on the job this past summer at WMS's GEAR UP program. Up first is a sketch (from memory!) based on my second favorite cartoon currently on air, Ben10. I drew it during a training session for GEAR UP tutors (it was all common sense stuff anyway). When I checked for an actual image of Ben later, I realized I was pretty off with the hair and Omnitrix, but I'm still happy with the sketch.

Here's something I drew during one of my 30 minute breaks. I was working on an elaborate door decoration for my boss at the time, which made me want to just draw random stuff, so I thought I would try to capture an emotion. I was going for cocky, play-by-my-own-rules. I hope that came across. Lame(r) stuff trimmed for your convenience.

And oddly enough--I got a taste of being a pro artist while at GEAR UP because my other boss asked me to design our super hero mascot. Since I just drew all day and collected pay, I was in-effect drawing for money, which is what pro artists do! Anyway, after I churned out a pin-up, I asked if I could give him some context, and roughed out a short, substance-less comic to feature him.

So after the rough outline is the finished first page. I thought it would be cool if you could read into it a little--he's literally getting his gear on, but he's talking about his "super [academic] powers." Also, I wanted to homage Ben10, which I love, so the glove panel's background is the bubbly background we always see after Ben poses post-morph. There's also a minigame to guess what super-hero origins he's referencing.

And right beneath the second GEAR UP Man entry is our exciting conclusion page. I actually drew the hero first, got the design approved, drew the first page, then gave the figure a background. The cheesy dialogs and (everything else) was all me. It was all just a ploy to get him to say "GEAR UP!" I thought the drawings would just be an office decoration, but they were thinking about printing up some copies to post around campus. They didn't print anything out before I left because the printer was broken, so who knows what'll happen.


As a bonus for today's post, here's a scan of the previous post's Danny Phantom picture. Just so you know, there was some gunk on the scanner, which is where the weird, black smudges come from.

Ok! What a post. Look forward to nothing but scans from now on! And the first Record meeting is tomorrow night, with Herald in tow, so be prepared for actual Yale art soon!

Reuxben

No comments: