Friday, December 30, 2011

AV_NewYeah

This was a postcardy demo for the jKids of an Amurrcan New Years card (do those even exist?). Next year is the year of the dragon, so I wanted to include that totally Asian element mixed with that totally US, Saturday Evening Post flavor, and this was the result. I checked J.C. Leyendecker and memories of Mucha to inform the style, vying for that quintessential US illustrative style to highlight to the jPoppers how mighty US illustration used to be like before we as a nation collectively stopped trying, lowered our standards, or just decided photos are better than art (the insinuation being that photos aren't art). Not to say this piece rocked it out of the park or anything, but just use your imagination, you jerk.

Anyway, after a ridiculously negative slump, this has been the greatest non-Yale year of my life, and I am pumped that this no longer applies to me for the first time in a long time. So for now, the plan is to stealth my way to a traditional Japanese New Years event, then on the first I'm going to sweat bullets at a Japanese social event I got invited to via eerie early morning anonymous phone call, to be followed up by a mercifully solo stint at my favorite Japanese Pizzeria.

See you next year. And by "you," I mean "me."

Reuxben

No comments: