Friday, September 8, 2017

Fun_WizardOfEarthSeaSerpent


This one was more directly a desire to do an new take on Oceans Deep, but with a more monochromatic color scheme.


I love pushing the sense of scale, and this one felt like my most successful attempt at that, with the little wizard guy definitely being out-shined by the sea serpent. I do worry if I fall back to ringed stone structures too often, though, as a marker for "fantasy land."


This involved mainly painting with KNKL's chalk brush, but I felt it was actually more challenging than painting with colors! I dunno, it feels so much easier to drift into way too dark darks when it's just one color I'm working with.


This initial version posted to the Daily Sites made me want to include some color, but with considerable subtlety, mainly via gradient maps and RGB aberration, which has a neat effect when you have a lot of bright spots meeting up with darker areas.


However, here's a bonus colorized version I just did (it's 3/6/18 as of writing). I wouldn't consider this the "final" version because again, I didn't really intend for it to go to full colors, just that vaguely monochromatic color vibe.

Not normal,

Reuxben

No comments: