Friday, July 21, 2017

FanArt_VolleyMelira


Here is Melira, Sylvok Outcast hanging out with her trusty Murderous Redcap volleyball in classic computer RPG mode.


I love seeing characters on their "off time," so I wanted to do a series of Magic characters playing volleyball with volleyballs themed after something relevant to their card.


In this case, it's the classic combo of Melira and Redcap: just find a way to repeatedly sac the Redcap, and the redhead will keep it recurring to your murderous content since it can't get the prohibitive -1/-1 counter to stop it from persisting whenever it dies.


I had Jonathan Coulton '93's "All This Time" RPG video on my mind, so for a Magic version, the scenario was related to playing a combo deck and then recognizing that you can go off that turn to win, which was a situation I found myself in when I played a rare Standard FNM. I didn't have enough on me for the Modern Masters '17 draft (I was expecting an Aether Revolt draft), so I settled for the stupid Constructed tournament.


They let me borrow a "Copy Cat" deck, where you just try to get Saheeli Rai and Felidar Guardian to instantly combo off with infinite cats to attack for arbitrarily large damage (pre cat-ban, you have the Planeswalker blink the cat, the cat blinks the PW, and each iteration generates the additional cat you refresh the combo with). I often went through that thought flow: ok, I have the combo, do I go for it? Yes or no?


Anyway, I also did a more standard color Melira version. The trees were originally pink, like sakura, but I settled on going for maximum green. I had imagined these might make nice desktop wallpapers, so this is the standard color version.


And this is the minimalist-style wallpaper. I liked doing the computer screen effects on the PC version of this, including the reflection of a figure turning off the screen, so I think I actually like this style better...anyway, you can DL these easily on DeviantART.

Not normal,

Reuxben

No comments: