Monday, December 3, 2007

Record_TokyoPopPart1

In just days, the Yale Record will unveil its "Travel Issue." Relax, they're including art to supplement the written "humor" this time, so you should definitely pick it up!

I got to do two neat things: first--what I've affectionately nicknamed "TokyoPop," but is actually called "Timeline of How Japan Got So Weird." Second--I'll reveal next week.

This first pic is about a face-altering disease that has hit the anime community.

We've also got a bunch of planes...pretty boring, but I'll also explain those next week when the issue comes out!


Here's when Japan's first Pokemon prime minister resigns in disgrace.

Easter Eggs: Not only is his boss-ranking mug a joke about those #1 boss mugs, but also a reference to Pikachu's original pokedex number. Also, his tie's knot is a pokeball!



Fun Fact: I fought to get a Japan-is-Weird piece into the Travel Issue, and they finally green lit it because--surprise!--it's a good idea, although I had something much more random and bizarre in mind. But you get what you can. Nice that I got to draw it.

I have no idea what the finalized piece looks like, but with the Record, you can count on it to be total--well, just cross your fingers.

So that's part one of TokyoPop, Wednesday will have the exciting conclusion.

Reuxben

No comments: