Friday, October 14, 2011

ZLM_OldTimer

"You so old, you got Moses' beeper number." --actual schoolyard slam, c.1997.

Zero Like Me #173:
Old Timer

000

Easter Eggs: "Yale" in panel 2. Jump Square Comics logo. If this comic rings a bell, you've got some crazy good memory. The old man is based on my memories of the grandpa from Yakitate Japan volume one, which I bought for my Yale thesis on manga. The man kinda looks like my thesis advisor, now that I think about it, but that's purely coincidental.

Fun Facts: This is the first comic of the new era of traditional inks--no more digital inks--and a simplified shading style (although I'm testing out a slightly different shade aesthetic for next time). Also, I'm uploading smaller files. It's my hope that, like the levels I gained during college, my time in Japan will yield similar significant technical advancement. Unlike college, I have the ready capacity for digital touch ups and tones, but I want to spend no less than 50% of my comicsing time on actual drawing, rather than stylus-dragging and re-dragging to get a semi-smooth line or a neat little lasso. Can't wait to see what my stuff looks like after I graduate from Japan!

Baa: I have never, ever, ever, ever felt homesick. But now that I'm in Japan, many miles and hours from everything familiar, isolated here thanks to a considerable language barrier...I still am not homesick. Oh, but I yearn for Yale, of course...

Also, this is our third anniversary. Neat.

Reuxben

No comments: