Thursday, October 8, 2020

FanArt_ink.Teeth

 
MTGinktober smiles into Day 8, "Teeth," starring Massacre Girl and Massacre Wurm!
 
 
I have been wanting to draw "Mr. Teeth" for some time, and we finally have a prompt for him!  This was the very first card I crafted when M21 hit, to mop up Goblins and to a lesser extent Elves (not to mention Lurrus chumps and Oven bait) in Historic. This card is so cool as a one-way wipe (my favorite kind of sweeper), and then everything from that point on shocks them, to boot, as if a 6/5 weren't pressure enough.
 

So to complement him, I wanted to add in his newest iteration, Massacre Girl, who is also pretty cool herself, and while I generally dislike drawing people smiling (it just feels so labored and phony), we made an exception since we need teeth for this piece, after all.

Fun Facts: The piece we wiped for this page was this old study, trying to get down that slight 2/3 profile down.  The shirt was based on an old gig.  As for this piece, I fused both the promo and OG version of Massacre Wurm, taking compelling shapes from both, meanwhile I kinda had to guess on Massacre Girl's costume since she's crouched over in her original art.

 
Easter Eggs: I definitely like hiding my signature in cracks and crags, so I put mine on Massacre Wurm's topmost head armor--he apparently has two layers of exoskeleton on his head (a side benefit of closely studying all this MTG art is noticing neat details that are easy to miss when just playing the card).  Also, interesting that 8 (today's number) in Japanese can be read as "ha," which is also the word for teeth, too.

Not normal,

Reuxben

No comments: