Thursday, October 15, 2020

FanArt_ink.Outpost

 
MTGinktober stakes out Day 15, "Outpost," starring Dominaria's Soldier Token and Kjeldoran Outpost!

 
This was a tricky prompt because there are quite few good options available, so we even ended up straight-up redrawing the actual Kjeldoran Outpost art, something I am usually reluctant to do because it doesn't really allow for any personal twist, unlike when you merely take inspiration from old art.  But I enjoyed drawing Jakub Kasper's Soldier Token, particularly the hair, and as much as I'm not so big on Jeff A. Menges's art, it was certainly better than drawing the other version, and I certainly loved the cold weather change-up, for sure. 

 
Fun Facts: I wiped a sketch in progress for this page that just looked horrific (I believe it was supposed to be a bonus piece of Arvad), so I won't be posting it.  But I had already cleared the page of an even older standalone graphite drawing for that sketch, which dug so deep into the paper you can still clear remnants of it on the actual paper (see the camera images).

 
Easter Eggs: I wanted to hide an actual message in this one, so you can see "VOTE!" in the snow bank at left.  My signature is the only tweak to the Kjeldoran Outpost art--I added a second flag for the date.  And while I usually dislike drawing smiling people, this one just felt fun and goofy.

Not normal,

Reuxben

No comments: