Tuesday, October 16, 2018

FanArt_ink.Angular


MTGinktober angle-shoots its way into Day 16, "Angular," starring a Ghoulcaller Gisa and some dashing jombiez!


I always look for an excuse to draw Gisa every year, and this marks her third appearance, but her first solo starring role (kick bricks, Geralf!).


Anyway, I have to say, this was a tough prompt, but at long last, I was struck to go in a Super-Sentai-style direction. But the ever-nagging question of who to draft...it could be the "Powerpuff Girls", but that felt too obvious. So how about something you don't want to see in cutesy poses? Zombies. But we need a star. Who deals with zombies who's somewhat obscurer than Liliana? Gisa. And that we like to draw? Gisa!


Fun Facts: As much as I like drawing Innistrad's go-to goth girl, and as much as I appreciate artist Karla Ortiz's designs, I have to say I do loathe having to draw the helmet thingy she wears under her veil. Though I feel I finally cracked how to draw the veil this year, after three years of trying to render it in ink.


Easter Eggs: Any Innistradian graveyard is going to have Avacyn's symbol on tombstones--all placed at jarring angles--but we also included various angle-creating devices, namely her shovel crossing her body, her elbows jutting out, her victory sign, her leg kicking up, and of course the zombos' arm formation, not to mention the more subtle jagged branches.

Not normal,

Reuxben

No comments: