Friday, October 12, 2018

FanArt_ink.Whale


MTGinktober
beaches onto Day 12, "Whale," starring Lorthos, the Tidemaker, a pod of Colossal Whales, and Reef Worm for good, whaley measure!


I have to admit, this one was a bit of a stumper, and I had quite little idea where even to start with illustrating such a prompt. The flying whales from Kaladesh? Are flying whales played out?


While "Whale" wasn't immediately exciting or inspiring, we powered through it by trying giving the prompt more of a supporting role: the piece is about Lorthos, and the whales are more for scale and decoration.


Fun Facts: This is our very first MTGinktober featuring absolutely zero humanoids! No wonder it felt so weird...speaking of weirdness, I wanted to make sure Lorthos's size read, but I didn't want to do a low angle since that's too much like his actual art, but this downward angle ultimately didn't really do him justice.


Easter Eggs: I never noticed how Lorthos has these swirly designs on his head, so I made sure to get those in there. I also hoped to mix up my whales, but there actually aren't a whole lot to choose from, though I was able to take tail design inspiration from Reef Worm's 3/3 Whale token.

Not normal,

Reuxben

No comments: