Sunday, October 7, 2018

FanArt_ink.Exhausted


MTGinktober plops down into Day 7, "Exhausted," starring Chandra Nalaar mustering all her remaining energy to hang out with a Goldenglow Moth.


I was so tired drawing this one--even after passing out and going into a mini-coma yesterday--it felt fitting to have this prompt on the docket in the few scant hours I had to work on it.


Fun Facts: I based this Chandra on a blend of references, but my main starting point was Westley Burt's Oath of Chandra. This is Chandra's fourth MTGinktober appearance in three years! It doesn't feel too frequent cuz her debut was as Kid Chandra in 2016 and her second was as a grown-up later in that same year, though that illo came out pretty poorly. These kinda feel like distinct characters, so I don't feel too much saturation, plus her third appearance was last year in 2017, again as a kid, but only as a guest star in a more Jaya-centric piece. Her previous solo was also in a sleep-deprivation-themed illustration, but I do like giving such an energetic character these quieter jams.


Easter Eggs: I originally wanted to have a couple butterflies guiding Chandra to sleep, but at almost the very last moment before inking, I thought to make it specifically a Goldenglow Moth. A moth isn't a butterfly, but it sure seems dreamy all the same.

Not normal,

Reuxben

No comments: