Monday, October 1, 2018

FanArt_pgtp.HighVotage


Only 36 pikadays until it's time to pika-#PokemonGoToThePolls on Tuespika, Pikavember 6, 20pika18, so here is Central Kalos Dex #036, Pikachu!


There were a couple cool candidates for day 36, but we had to go with da OG. Yeah, it's super cliche, and I draw Pikachu way too often whenever I do draw Pokemon, but I just love drawing Pikachu.


It's a relatively simple design that still has plenty of space for interesting takes and a flexible enough figure to do all kinds of compositions, especially when you introduce electric effects.


This was our first PGTP done during Inktober, and this is definitely the just-right level of complexity and in-depth work we're looking for--not too overdone, but not sparse, either.


The big takeaway here was making less feel like more so that the illustration has enough going on to stay interesting for more than a passing glance, so I used the stroke function to outline some of the lightning for a quick, stylized boost.


I also relied completely on cel shading and keeping as many of the gradations on just one layer per core color, rather than three per color (light, mid, and dark), and the only subtle modulation came from an overlayed zoom layer.


So this illustration flew by in a few hours, and I was able to tack it onto the evening after finishing the day's Inktober and it didn't exhaust me and I was ready to hop back to MTGinktober Day 2, so all-around win.


I had started sketching this idea the previous week in prep for Inktober, but if I can replicate that and get a little prep work done after each Inktober wraps, then hitting two posts every Monday this month doesn't sound impossible.


And what's not impossible is making sure both to register if you haven't already and to elect to be a voter on Tuesday, November 6, 2018.

Not normal,

Reuxben

No comments: