Friday, October 5, 2018

FanArt_ink.Chicken


MTGinktober weasels out of avoiding Day 5, "Chicken," starring Norin the Wary being encouraged by Aurelia, Exemplar of Justice to take on an intimidating, shadow-dark Grim Strider that's actually just a Beeble.


Obviously I could have gone with a shot of one of the chickenfolk from Unglued, but that just felt too easy. I know I'm probably shooting myself in the foot by insisting on trying to avoid these easy go-tos, but, well...it always feels sell-outy when doing fan art, but doing obscure stuff is a compromise that helps me make the medicine go down.


And besides, it felt like a reasonable, appealing scene to draw: a famous, non-Coward coward being pushed into battle by a attack-encouraging creature against a member of just about the goofiest tribe in Magic because he's literally afraid of a shadow.


Fun Facts: I had a tough time figuring out the angle on this one. I've been wanting to do more z-axis stuff, but nothing with a fancier perspective was really reading in the sketch phase, since we need to see Norin as well as what he's looking at on top of what he's actually facing, as well as his enabler's face, so I just went with the bluntest option--a flat out XY-axis reliant, left-to-right reading, like a comic strip gag.


Easter Eggs: The goofy guys from Incite are in the background. How is that a modern Magic card? That looks like some pre-Fifth Edition stuff, yo. Anyway, the Beeble is in the Fear pose.

Not normal,

Reuxben

No comments: