Tuesday, October 9, 2018

FanArt_ink.Precious


MTGinktober cuddles Day 9, "Precious," starring Rona, Disciple of Gix and her number one little manabud, Silver Myr.


This was an enjoyable change of pace because I got to draw an afro, which is always a good time because you just get to go to town.


It was also a challenge because you don't want to go too far with the adventurous curl design, but also cuz Rona is kinda Sci-Fi-y and you also don't want to go too far there, either.


The pose happened to hide her robotic eye, so it was kind of a fortunate relief for stylistic and temporal reasons, but her card art also doesn't really show her costuming details clearly, so I definitely had to do some amount of extrapolation.


Fun Facts: I originally wanted to have Rona hanging out with Silver Myr and Leaden Myr, since she's UB and I wanted her being precious with UB-aligned "cute" (precious) artifacts (none of the atrocious Scars of Mirrodin versions, thank you), as well as a Black Lotus and even Artificer's Assistant. But since I didn't have enough time for all of them, I just went with Silverino.


Easter Eggs: Choosing Silver Myr was also a shoutout to a warm supporter, Giuliathemyr on Twitter, who's been following along MTGintkober for a couple years now. The background comes from another precious artifact I was thinking about including, Mirari. Also, since Rona is apparently tangentially connected to Yawgmoth, I made the little heart a riff on the Phyrexian "theta" symbol.

Not normal,

Reuxben

No comments: