Saturday, October 20, 2018

FanArt_ink.Breakable


MTGinktober breaks through to Day 20, "Breakable," starring whatever the heck that thing is in Phyrexian Unlife!


I was not looking forward to how straightforward this illustration was going to be--and how similar in composition it would be to yesterday's piece--but I knew Phyrexian Unlife would be just perfect for this prompt, and regardless, everything was going to be all about the mood and the eyes, not an elaborate setting or composition.


Drawing all the cracks and stuff was a treat for sure, you just get to live the thrill of cutting loose while making sure not going overboard and feeling out when to pull back as necessary. And it feels like it wouldn't be an MTGinktober without somebody crying, so I also looked forward to doing some more convincing waterworks here.


Fun Facts: Oftentimes whenever there are notable hand poses in an illustration those are modeled after reference photos I took of myself, so this particular illustration probably merits at least a guest-starring credit to my hands. Also, I feel like Mirrodin and New Phyrexia have been cleaning up this year, what are we on now, three M/NP-related illustrations so far? That's gotta be a record.


Easter Eggs: In this piece I really got to do something I love doing, which is sneaking my signature into an illustration as furtively as possible--it's etched onto the right side of the drawing, just above her left eye.

Not normal,

Reuxben

No comments: