Monday, October 22, 2018

FanArt_ink.Expensive


MTGinktober blings-blings up Day 22, "Expensive," starring Tasigur, the Golden Fang and Mox Emerald, Mox Sapphire, and Mox Jet!


This was one of the more interesting compositions since it involved a quieter, dreamier moment. I don't read much of the Magic lore, but I do recall reading the one about Tasigur for some reason--sometimes I'll randomly read a story just to check if it's gotten compelling yet--and unfortunately, I didn't find Mr. T terribly likable; he's kind of a jerk, so I wanted to draw him in a more agreeable moment, enchanted by his riches.


Fun Facts: This has to be one of the first drawings I've ever done of a bare midriff...I try to keep everyone tastefully under wraps. This old Zero Like Me comic, "Two Please," mighta been the closest contender prior. Also, as you can see, I had a huge ink spill, so I had to tone the pillow heavily, when I had actually just wanted to do a more delicate texture on it.


Easter Eggs: His pillow has little Turtleveld-style turtles to reference Sultai standard and MTGinktober alumnus, Meandering Towershell. Plus his arm ornament has the Sultai logo itself embedded in it. The room's lightly based on Youthful Scholar's digs. A banana's a must with Sultai, but we completed it with a Chiquita Banana style Chupacabra sticker. The featured Moxen are the Sultai ones. Tasigur's necklace chomping was inspired by Das Racist's "Brand New Dance" (yeesh, what an on-the-nose URL!).

Not normal,

Reuxben

No comments: