Friday, April 2, 2010

Herald_zlm.NinjaYouCrazy

Everybody get down.

Zero Like Me #97:
Zero Romance #19:
Ninja, You Crazy!
<- Previous Comic...Next Comic->
-First Comic-

Easter Eggs: "Yale" in panel 6. Romance 19 in panel 2. Ibuki style. Umezawa's Jitte. Dan's Squareman! Cobra Kai never die. 1988.

Fun Facts: Today's setting is the Wimmin's Taybull area of Cross Campus. More importantly, this is how the Herald does April Fools, fools. We were trying to figure out what to do this year and I mentioned I was planning a comic about ninja, and then it ended up being our team theme--this is the first year we've had a unified theme.

I am thrilled we've been able to continue the April Fools specials I started at both the YDN (2nd year) and the Herald (3rd year)--I wasn't sure the Herald would be on board this year, but we ended up getting it together literally at the last minute! I'm also happy that all the YDN regulars joined in, too.

The keen eye can spot a jack kellyian getting murdered, as right he should be, but the keener eye can spot a Squareman, the signature character from my original Herald Comics editor, Dan. He was the first one to print a comic by me and was really encouraging, and thus remains a crucial human being in my existence.

The other key player, Mr. Chittenden, is still involved with comics. He was my Herald editor after Dan, and he helped teach me the basics of incorporating computers into my work--including helping teach me how to make the first Herald Fools Special possible, techniques I used again this year.

Baa: Freshman Year, I met this black guy who loved rap but hated the N-word--predicament! But the kid said rather than N-bomb, he uses the word "ninja," and that nugget of trivia has been bouncing around in my head ever since.

I also drew a ninja for Zach's comic, which is visible here.

The character on the get-up says Rei, which is Japanese for "Zero" and the pose is Ralph Macchio.

I was in Japan when I saw a Zero fighter, the Pearl-Harboring kamikaze plane, in a naval museum. I was planning my next Herald series at the time, so I wrote "Zero" down as a cool possible villain's name.

But then I ended up creating a YDN comic, and I needed a name for a severely depressed guy. And I thought Zero was perfect for multiple reasons, one of which is it's about valuelessness, but also the kamikaze connotation.

I wasn't sure how the color might get screwed up on this (as it tends to whenever I use color for printed comics), so I went overboard with precautions, including using CMKY and stuff, which kinda really impaired the lines.

Coloring can be fun...but lines are so much more interesting...

So basically, what I'm trying to say is I wanna be just like you.

Reuxben


No comments: