Wednesday, October 25, 2023

FanArt_ink.Dangerous

MTGinktober lives on the edge on Day 25, "Dangerous," starring Famished Paladin, Sorcerer's Wand, Splendor Mare, Porcuparrot, and Selfless Savior!

It was certainly tricky coming up with a compelling concept for this prompt, but after getting past just inherently dangerous creatures, I thought of a straight-up lethal creature combos.  We've done Kiki combo, which is pretty obvious, so I was thrilled that we finally get to draw an illustration I've been wanting to flesh out fully since last decade--my dear, sweet Paladin-Wand combo!  We even got to work in some special guests that didn't exist back when he was first printed, too.

Fun Facts:  This is another of the rare, non-legend MTGinktober illustrations.  It's even Artisan legal, a truly wonderful format I wish they'd put up more.  I've drawn Famished Paladin's background before, but this is his proper debut along with everyone's else.  This is indeed the complete, insta-lethal combo as I play it (especially satisfying with EOT-cycle into mutate), with added elements of double protection via the pooch and the enchantment creature, and double the pain outlet via the mutate and equipment.

Here's the initial gesture, which told me we could be in for a straightforward drawing--the more belabored, the riskier it is of going to time, but this one flowed relatively easily.  I don't actually have the hound in my current list, but prolly should--either way, I had to work him in there, and fortunately I'd drawn a similar illustration that I could pull confidence from.

Easter Eggs:  The background, as well as the sparkles, come from Alseid of Life's Bounty, which is actually my protection card of choice in the deck.  But I was thrilled to be able to work in Randy Vargas's version of the pup as a sorta nod to my own hound that left.  That triggered a slump I've been in ever since, which I reasoned out while drawing this (plenty of time to think and talk to yourself while drawing these things).  My signature is in his right shoulder armor detail.  The ridges on the spines come from the OG Porc though the shapes are from the showcase.

Reuxben

No comments: