Tuesday, October 24, 2023

FanArt_ink.Shallow

MTGinktober superficially looks into Day 24, "Shallow," starring Mari, the Killing Quill and Pietra, Crafter of Clowns!

I had a couple ideas for this prompt, but as I felt oddly emotional reading the news that Magic is not only collaborating with Marvel, but it's going to be a multi-year, multi-tentpole release plan, I felt like doing something pertaining to that.  It really feels like we've now surely lost something--we've cheapened Magic.  Obviously everyone gets to enjoy whatever however, but for me it feels sad to see us give up our game to be other properties' dancing monkey, especially when Disney has their own legit cool multiversal TCG to use and Marvel has Snap.

Fun Facts:  This is my first multi-panel comic in years, but not our first comic for MTGinktober, the first of which was also on a relatively controversial subject for Magic.  I chose these characters because one seems mean, and the other is, believe it or not, an actual Magic clown, but I felt kinda bad drawing her getting bullied, but the gag calls for it.  I don't use emoji, but I woulda worked the clown emoji in there if I did. 

Easter Eggs:  We've drawn Magic trophies here and there, but never a Pro Tour trophy until today--this is Joel Larsson's.  Pietra has an ABC sandwich and an open soda (with my sig on it) next to her unsleeved, rubber-banded, 71-card deck next to her collection of うんこpoop figures, which have the McDonald's M.  The 60-card crack references my disdain for EDH--I blame them for this relentless release, social play, and IP slush.  But here I am drawing legends every year.

Reuxben

No comments: