Thursday, October 5, 2023

FanArt_ink.Map

 
MTGinktober charts a course for Day 5, "Map," starring Cartographer (Donato version)!


I knew I wanted to cast Cartographer, but I was unsure about her soling or maybe reporting to a captain, conferring with a navigator, or even giving tips to a Goblin Guide about to set out for adventure.  But we ended up going for a straight-up celebration of this supremely influential card alone, like she's nerdily drawing maps through the night and we're coming over and bugging her to sit for a portrait, like in college: All these motivated people moving their own mountains and everyone's timelines are intersecting at odd hours in odd places.  

 
Fun Facts:  This is a rare instance of an illustration containing no legends and a totally solo character!  Exceedingly rare there isn't even one per year.  I literally have to ponder for the last time this happened.  Let's see, looks like Fan // Investigate, thought that was about a legend...Anyway, this card is special to me because it was one of the very first truly great Magic illustrations I ever saw back when I was starting and it still entrances me; it made me fall in love with Magic art--it set the tone for what excellence is.  

 
Easter Eggs:  The background comes from Donato's wonderful Cartographer, of course, but the framed map in the center is the cover art to the incredible song by Yeah Yeah Yeahs called "Maps," of course.  Her ruler says "Donato Rules" as another homage to the genius, and I mimicked how he hid his signature in the lower left map.  And her pen is based on my trusty G-pen.

Reuxben

No comments: