Saturday, October 28, 2023

FanArt_ink.Sparkle

MTGinktober twinkles its toes into Day 28, "Sparkle," starring Anikthea, Hand of Erebos and Go-Shintai of Lost Wisdom!

This was definitely a tough one to figure out.  Initially I thought of Algen's famous sparkly tokens, but nothing felt like it could anchor a piece, so maybe jam from my heyday drafting almost literally nothing but BW throughout OG Theros block, with all my Limited faves?  Maybe a Go-Shintai crew piece.  Ultimately, I wanted to have Lost Wisdom, who I've long wanted to draw, taunting an Enchantment Creature with an impossible/dumb riddle (maybe it's possible, who knows), but as to what that would look like, that just came together right as we were getting ready to pencil.  

Fun Facts:  This is everyone's debut, but it's my second time doing that starry Nyx technique which was a byootox-load of fun to do and see come together at the end.  But we were so undecided until the very end of pre-production that I actually had research for some three pieces, including a literal splash image of Kiora in case this image didn't work out.

Easter Eggs:  I couldn't resist a nod to my old drafting run, so Anikthea is actually ticked off by not figuring out the riddle and is currently bestowed with Spiteful Returned, which I will never tire of saying helped me beat Yamaken once (just once; I lost the match!).  And as this is an Algen jam, we gotta toss in the swooshy B (ß), which is in the splash.  Meanwhile my signature is carved in a stone pillar from the surrounding Sanctum of Calm Waters.

Reuxben

No comments: