Friday, October 13, 2023

FanArt_ink.Rise

MTGinktober moves on up to Day 13, "Rise," starring Braids, Arisen Nightmare and Second Little Pig!

I wasn't sure what to do with this prompt until I literally started drawing, and Braids kinda emerged--I've been trying simply pulling interesting cards before going to sleep and then just jamming a concept when I wake up, and so far that's been working out pretty well--I'm making good time, and my hand is in much less pain.  I'm worried I won't have time to make a compelling concept, though, which is why I usually do all my research before sleeping. 

Fun Facts:  All I knew was I wanted this little piggy in there, as I've had a blast with him in the Alchemy precon event and he really rises to the occasion.  And it's our second day in a row with goggles and piggies--from Arena exclusive cards, to boot.  But this is Braids's second MTGinktober appearance, though the first time in nightmare mode.  As for how to treat her, I ended up bouncing between pretty much all the current versions to make a composite of her, notably the hair at top is chiefly from Daisuke Tatsuma, central crossing braids from Heonhwa Choe.

Easter Eggs:  As it's Friday the 13th, I wanted to include a reference to one of the 13er cards in Magic, but there wasn't a lot of space--you can see some blood trails like in Triskaidekaphobia but I ended up having to draw over it, so instead we went with 13 dark smoke plumes at the top left.

Reuxben

No comments: