Wednesday, October 5, 2022

FanArt_ink.Flame

 
MTGinktober stokes into Day 5, "Flame," starring Jaya Ballard and Kediss, Emberclaw Familiar!

 
Yet another straightforward one that seemed like it'd fly by so I can work on other stuff, but then the hair and suit just took forever to ink, not to mention the last minute second-guess marathon on drawing the thumb.  Anyway, I was thinking maybe Spike raging on a keyboard about Magic's 30th--like an Internet flamer--but it was kinda too similar a concept to her last appearance, so we just got a known zinger and her little instigator buddy (I don't actually know the lizard's lore, so, as I enjoy doing for MTGinktober, I make up stories about how these characters meet and decide to team up).

 
Fun Facts: This is Jaya's second MTGinktober appearance, where she debuted with--you guessed it, Frank Stallone--wait, no, I mean Chandra.  It's always Chandra.  Also, I noticed a weird ink spot right where light was supposed to hit her arm, so I improvised a new stitch in her sleeve, though it's not actually present in her costume design.

 
Easter Eggs: I hid my signature in the upper flames.  Also, though I mainly referenced Fajareka Setiawan's version, which is based on Matt Cavotta's version, I bounced between the two to get some of the costume elements down.

Reuxben

No comments: