Thursday, October 20, 2022

FanArt_ink.Bluff


  MTGinktober isn't kidding about Day 20, "Bluff," starring Kiku, Night's Flower and Atris, Oracle of Half-Truths
 

 
Man, still having difficulty falling asleep, which makes drawing so much harder, but at least we were a little more rested than yesterday's fiasco.  I hate sleeping, but it's undeniably one thing you can't dodge for long before it catches up with you--fortunately I just see little stars, no shivering yet.  Anyway, today was finally an opportunity to draw Kiku, who I've long been a fan of, and have been waiting literally years to draw.  I love that trope of an ostensibly infatuated duo actually bringing out the daggers for each other, so we went with that set-up here.

 
Fun Facts:  I wasn't sure who to team against Kiku, but Atris seemed like a good fit since he's definitely in the "bluff" category both in name and in mechanics--I am not a huge fan of Commander formats, but whenever I have to play Brawl for Midweek Magic or whatever, I bust out ol' Atris and the constant mini-FOFs are always a treat.  Plus Kiku can kill him with her ability, and he can kill her in combat, so all's fair in whatever this is and war.  So the idea is they are like Spy vs. Spying each other out.  

 
Easter Eggs: While Kiku would probably kill via shadows, I wanted to include some fun blade references.  So hers is the one from Murderous Cut, which befits assassins, and his is of course Trepanation Blade, which joins him in messing with topdecks.  The background is based on Ukiyo-e illustrations, along with some sakura flitting through the air since this is a pretty manga dynamic.  The last thing is I wanted them to look like they're giving each other the eye, but their fingers are crossed.

Reuxben

No comments: