Monday, October 24, 2022

FanArt_ink.Fairy

 
MTGinktober claps and believes in Day 24, "Fairy," starring Ivy, Gleeful Spellthief; League Guildmage; and Gnarled Professor!

 
 
My hand is in quite some pain from the mad dash to get the fine details in, but it was worth it to make all the references.   I knew I wanted to do something reminiscent of the Ivy League given that we've got work with a Faerie named Ivy, so that's why we included League Guildmage.  Looking up classic Ivy imagery, I found this incredible Norman Rockwell program, and knew I wanted to spoof it.  I went with The Gnarly Prof for the ref since his root body mimicked the uniform's stripes and no other teachery card seemed apt.
 
 
Fun Facts:  This is the closest we've got to a legend-free illustration this year, but so far so good.  It's neat and a bit coincidental that all the cards work together--Gnarly gets a spell, you target Guildmage, who copies it, and then Ivy poaches a further copy.

 
Easter Eggs: A lot of fun accidents--first, the program is today's date!  So I just had to hide my name in the grass.  Next, the price part actually phrases a reference to copies, which both these creatures can do, and 2 is a great number when talking copies.  The coin Gnarly P is tossing is a Darksteel Relic, which is a special card to me.  The football is the design from Ivy's Eshpur showcase version.  Even though it pained me to treat Cornell and Dartmouth as Ivies and have them hog this whole illustration, I had to sneak a Harkness Tower in the background for old times' sake.    

Reuxben

No comments: