Tuesday, October 18, 2022

FanArt_ink.Scrape

 
MTGinktober just barely makes it into Day 18, "Scrape," starring Elspeth, Knight-Errant and Ajani, Sleeper Agent!
 
 
This was a bit of a change of pace because I stayed up late past midnight and started the research phase of today's illustration, compiling reference materials and pulling cards from Scryfall.  I usually do that after waking up.  Anyway, just had to do minimal thinking and just go with a lot of first-draft decisions just to stay on "emergency" schedule, which is the very latest we can be behind and still make deadline.  Consequently, a lot of avoidable errors and undercooked elements in this one, unfortunately, so I went in for a little touch-up.

Fun Facts: I was so exhausted I accidentally slept in, so I really, literally just scraped by to get this done in time and my fingers are really feeling it.  Anyway, this is the second time these two have appeared together (or at all) for an MTGinktober jam, and what a contrast, where once united friends have become foes, or something.

Easter Eggs:  Most of the background comes from Elspeth, Sun's Champion (Eric Deschamps version).  It's funny that both these characters have quite a bit of alternate arts going for them--Ajani here is primarily based on Victor Adame Minguez's version, and I sorta mixed the post-death Elspeths, but I anchored costuming upon Elspeth, Sun's Nemesis by Livia Prima and went with Zack Stella's Knight-Errant's hair.

Reuxben

No comments: