Monday, October 10, 2022

FanArt_ink.Crabby

 
MTGinktober bombs out of Day 10, "Crabby," starring Spike, Tournament Grinder and Vorthos, Steward of Myth!

 
I kinda wanted to draw Kiora again, but since that was just too similar to her debut, we just went with the concept of being crabby, and who better than the ultimate tourney player getting pwnd by a goofy, unserious, costumed player? I wondered if they should both 0-3, since Vorthos wouldn't care, but maybe it's funnier and more humiliating/frustrating if she just wins it all.  Related, I was going to put the short but instantly recognizable name, road warrior Jůza, last, but realized it'd be the perfect place to sign the illustration, plus if anyone's out round one, it's gonna be me. 

 
Fun Facts:  I really like drawing Spike and this is her third MTGinktober appearance.  Vorthos has to set the record from print to MTGinktober debut, as she just got released three days ago (and release events were this weekend!  Sets are released constantly these days, so I wonder if we'll ever get a day-of type deal...I don't recall drawing a to-be-released card yet, either... 
 
 
Easter Eggs:  The bracket features each of the Psychographics, with their fonts matching their styles--Spike is fussless and to-the-point, Timmy (eliminates Spike, natch) is giant, ridiculous letters; Johnny styles it up, Vorthos has flavor--plus Melvin, who writes like a computer. The remaining seats are ナカシュ, referencing the pro I got to play once, Shuhei Nakamura, and Mengu, a signature I copied from actual signed cards, to salute Andrea Mengucci, whose streams I really enjoyed learning from via voluminous questions, though one of the mods is kind of a jerk. Plus turtle logo.

Reuxben

No comments: