Wednesday, October 12, 2022

FanArt_ink.Forget

MTGinktober is fuzzy on Day 12, "Forget," starring Kari Zev, Skyship Raider and Ragavan, Nimble Pilferer!

 
When in great doubt, as a brainstorming technique, I think of songs that use the prompt word to help inspire me.  I recalled "Every Time a Teenager Listens to Drum & Bass a Rockstar Dies," a song about a guy forgetting where he came from after becoming successful, so I looked for an outshined character in my daily trawl through Magic's legends.  I stumbled on Kari Zev and thought she nigh perfectly fit the bill of an overshadowed legend--the mere token she created has surely outclassed her (to be fair she sees some play on Arena, though there's no Monkey Man to compete). 
 

Fun Facts: This is Kari Zev's third MTGinktober appearance, and while I like drawing her, she tends to do terribly as far as reception goes--let's see if this one breaks the curse--and, yeah, it would probably be thanks to help from her popular monkey pal, who makes his second appearance here, his debut being last year's lead-off illustration.

Easter Eggs: I noticed his hairstyle changed from his token's gruffer look to his card's neater look, and thought that seemed poetic, given his rise in celebrity, so I went with a slightly more suave take on his current hairdo (primarily  Simon Dominic's version), a reference to him forgetting his past while he signs an adoring fan's card.

Reuxben

No comments: