Sunday, October 13, 2024

FanArt_ink.Horizon

MTGinktober looks towards Day 13, "Horizon," starring Hogaak, Arisen Necropolis; Grief (Campbell White Special Guest version); Fury (Campbell White Special Guest version); Arcum's Astrolabe; and Nadu, Winged Wisdom!

I had a concept ready to go after pulling all my refs in my research phase, and then just as I closed CSP, I suddenly thought of this--a full Animal Crossing spoof--specifically New Horizons, of course.  My initial idea was to have us peering through Grief into a scene Fury raging as Nadu flees with Astrolabe, all set atop Hogaak, but this parody idea felt more entertaining, so I went with neat over cool.  I contemplated using banned artists' lands for the setting, but that was a bit too far, and detracted from the spirit of MTGinktober.   

Fun Facts:  This is a full cast MTGinktober debut.  I ultimately had two fleshed out concepts for today, all I knew was I wanted to focus solely on Modern Horizons cards, and what better way than to send-up the invariably banned cards from each--each--MH set yet (I loathe these sets for what they've diminished Magic into, pushing out our history and natural development in eternal formats, though drafting MH3 was pretty enjoyable).

Easter Eggs:  Well, the setting is based on a plot of land you might claim in Animal Crossing: New Horizons.  I haven't played an AC since...Gamecube?...So I had to rely on rusted-out knowledge, YouTube Let's Plays, some image googling, and hope that this scene makes sense.  I remember you could dig up artifacts, but I don't think you'd be able to see what the item was, so I just placed the Astrolabe above ground.  I'd thought about having Mr. Resetti or Tom shooing them away, but since it was getting crowded, I just had them do their own things.

 
And bonus pencil version before I realized I forgot some details on Nadu's costume:
 
Reuxben

No comments: