Thursday, October 10, 2019

FanArt_ink.Pattern


MTGinktober reads too much into Day 10, "Pattern," starring Pattern Matcher!


This was a slightly tricky prompt, but I knew pretty early on that I wanted to use snippets of notable or famous patterns from Magic's history. I started thinking about which characters and sets and stuff have signature patterns to them, and was able to come up with almost all of today's subjects off the top of my head, though I was committed not to use Jace's markings, of course.


I planned this piece out as a checkerboard of patterns and sweet negative space by drawing a flowing grid of notes of what I wanted in each space, then I simply filled it in with art. At top left is the Rakdos checker pattern; to the right is the M15 set dressing, modeled after Garruk, Apex Predator's buckle; and at last right is the Expedition frame texture, based on Zendikar's hedrons.


The row beneath that is the blighted Zendikar waste texture, then the striped Izzet pattern epitomized by Izzet Staticaster, and then last is Pattern Matcher, of course, for the low-hanging fruit.


Fun Facts: The final row starts with the pattern that started this whole concept--the Theros set dressing, which I had discovered some time ago was based on the cobblestone pattern in Elspeth, Sun's Champion. And lastly is the infamous bismuth pattern from Oath of the Gatewatch.

Easter Eggs: My signature and the date are hidden on the bunny's head.

Not normal,

Reuxben

No comments: