Wednesday, October 30, 2019

FanArt_ink.Catch


MTGinktober scoops up Day 30, "Catch," starring Kiora, the Crashing Wave and Pelakka Wurm!


Oh, man home stretch, we're almost there! I'm actually kinda bummed--I don't really want to stop drawing these things. I am super tired, though, so I'm actually planning on just doing a couple bonus tracks on a more relaxed schedule. Speaking of exhaustion, this was our dreaded, third life lost, but again, we're on our last day, so we're definitely going for the 31.


Anyway, for the past couple days I've been trying to hit more popular characters as a salute to the people who've stuck with me through a relentless assault of characters nobody cares about, and this one in particular is dedicated to super user Areeghyol, who's been supportive for a good while now. He'd requested Kiora months ago, so she's been on my to-do list ever since, and today's her day. I wanted to include a miniaturized wurm as fishing bait for our merforlk behemoth seeker and went with fellow Zendikar denizen and recent scoop-inducer Pelakka Wurm.


Fun Facts: This is Kiora's second MTGinktober appearance, with her debut being one of my most popular pieces of 2017. The official Wizards Tumblr even reposted it, pretty insane. Doing that piece spooked me from drawing Kiora again because she's such a detail-intense character (mostly the headdress), but I definitely wanted to draw a Kiora for Areeghyol, so I bit the bullet.


Easter Eggs: I love Tyler Jacobson's art, especially his interpretation of Kiora, the Crashing Wave, but Scott M. Fischer's one of my absolute favorite artists, too, so I had to include a nod to his version with the little Japanese-style ukiyoe-e waves in the background from his version.

Not normal,

Reuxben

No comments: