Sunday, October 27, 2019

FanArt_ink.Coat


MTGinktober fuzzes up Day 27, "Coat," starring Ayula, Queen Among Bears and Lil' Mowu!


I was struggling to think of a famous coat in Magic when I recalled Jace had a notable coat in Shadows Over Innistrad, but we here at MTGinktober have a strict "No Jace" policy, so that was out the window. Enter the alternative definition: an animal's fur. So then it became a more manageable quest to find an animal-animal creature to work with, rather than a more humanish animal like Mirri. I settled on Ayula since she felt most animally, though Arahbo mighta been a better choice for pure coat value.


Fun Facts: Mowu was deceptively more challenging than I had anticipated since each depiction of his is slightly but noticeably different, but I specifically leaned on the one from Jiang Yanggu, Wildcrafter. The downside to having such an animalish star is that it was a little tough to make her feel like more than your average bear without mirroring her official art, but hopefully we got innovative enough without alienating the source.


Easter Eggs: If doing a bear-themed piece, I had to throw in Forest Bear, obviously, that's a given, but I also included a nod to tha OG, my Grizzly Bears from when I started, the avatar of "Basic Early-Magic Creature," ubiquitous in all example scenarios introducing or clarifying the stack or basic strategy, via that card's famous, uprooted tree trunk.


Not normal,

Reuxben

No comments: