Friday, October 18, 2019

FanArt_ink.Misfit


MTGinktober barely fits in with Day 18, "Misfit," starring Tamiyo, the Moon Sage and the popular kids: Vendilion Clique plus Will and Rowan Kenrith!


This was a bit of a gamble. I knew I wanted to do some sorta Breakfast Club, "high school popular kids vs. nerds" type deal, but it would involve a lot of characters, and that means a lot of time, but I've been so exhausted, I knew it'd be harder to get everyone drawn in proper order. But we went for it, at the expense of a background, as I was totally overbudget on time. It woulda been nice to make this an Urza Prep hallway or something. Alas.


Fun Facts: This is Tamiyo's second MTGinktober appearance. My favorite part of this piece was assembling all the costume and pose references to make something absolutely real--I don't know how accurate the popular characters' personalities are, but I was going for absolute preppy snootiness, meanwhile Tami-chan is just trying to get by.


Easter Eggs: The book Endry is holding is the famous Take Ivy, which has been an inspiration for years--as an artistic Yalie, I love looking back at classic Ivy style. I hesitated using modern day costumes, but it was worth it to give Tamiyo a nerdy scrunchy on one hair chunk, a childish crescent-moon beret, and the geek's classic pocket pen collection. Her book says, 引きこもりですがカッコイになりたい. And she's wearing a typical Japanese school uniform, complete with the omnipresent, brick-style school bag.

Not normal,

Reuxben

No comments: