Tuesday, October 15, 2019

FanArt_ink.Legend


MTGinktober whispers in hushed tones into Day 15, "Legend," starring Jon Finkel and Crossbow Steve!


This prompt coulda been a wildcard to draw whatever, since I normally do draw legends, but that felt too easy, so instead I went with depicting a legend of the game, Jon Finkel. If I had to choose a absolute #1, I'd have to go with my fellow USer over the German Juggernaut, Kai Budde, but they're interchangeably untouchable. I do feel Jon Finkel gets an edge by being so good over such a long period of time, though--he's like 3x Hall-of-Fame at this point. Anyway, it's super impressive to me how he can crush it across decades, though Kai of course recently Top 8ed the Arena PT.


Fun Facts: It's oddly reassuring how utterly stressed out and bogged down he appears while playing, as if to affirm to the world that Magic is still hard for him, regardless of how easy he makes it look, so I definitely wanted to draw him in that mildly stressed mood. Anyway, I knew I wanted him to appear larger than life, which made me think of Crossbow Steve futiley trying to take down a behemoth--though while drawing this, it looks like "Steve" is actually a "Steph."


Easter Eggs: The background features a little thundercloud to reference Jon Finkel's propensity to play Storm (and also to reference his brilliance, as if being struck with a bright idea), and the moody clouds are for how he always looks like the weight of the world is on him while playing, as well as to complement the castle, which comes from his original version of Shadowmage Infiltrator.

Not normal,

Reuxben

No comments: